HOMEFORUMINFODIAGNOSISTREATMENTDISEASESBOOKSCHATBLOGLINKS

Begin overcoming hypochondria today with hypnosis

Meditation

What hypochondria / anxiety treatments have you tried? Did you find it to be helpful or not? Share your thoughts with the community!

Moderators: hypotoo, thehypochondriac

Meditation

Postby Josh » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:44 pm

I know that a couple of people have mentioned that they have been trying out meditation and/or relaxation techniques to help cope with their hypochondria. Have people found this to be helpful? If so, I was wondering if you could share some specifics on your techniques to help the rest of us.

Thanks!

-Josh
Josh
New Hypochondriac

Tai Chi

Postby Shadowk3 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:56 am

I started learning the basics of Tai Chi to see if I could calm my nerves and my mind and it does seem to work quite well. But in doing so I came to a few things that for me atleast need to happen for it to work well.

1. I learned by video, if you do this be sure to read reviews before you buy, some videos are poorly made and not instructional enough,some move to fast, but some move way to slow boredom or frustration will kill the experience so it is important to find one that goes at the perfect speed for you.

2.Give yourself time to do it, I did it at night before bed and it worked well. Be sure to give yourself enough time where you can be alone in a quiet enviroment without distraction. To tell you the truth it is very very easy to get distracted from these videos since they are calm and quiet any noise or action will pull your attention away from it.

3. Lots of space, you don't need a lot of space to do it in but I felt it made it a lot better to have a large clear space to do it in, nice soft carpet works wonders to with your bare feet. You can buy mats for it that are nice but I just bought a small carpet to throw down on the floor to do it on and it was great.

4. Ask questions, I know a few people who are in the upper levels of Tai Chi if I have difficulty with a movment I ask them and have them show me. For me the initial stance was difficult to get it to feel right. I had a friend explain and show it to me and it felt just right after that.

Tai Chi is used to balance the energy in your body your head to the sky your feet to the soil. I find after a session I can feel it in my feet and finger tips and I feel so much more relaxed. I highly recomment Tai Chi.
Mr.Yates
Shadowk3
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby Arietty » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:13 pm

It helps me out sometimes but if I'm already in an anxious state it doesn't do much for me. I'm usually too afraid to even concentrate on meditating. It's good to do it at a time when you're feeling somewhat relaxed already.
Arietty
New Hypochondriac

Postby Visitor » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:38 pm

I've found the best method of treatment, or what has worked the best for me, is an initial treatment with both an SSRI as well as a benzodiazepan. I would not regularly prescribe the benzodiazepan, as the patent tends to become more content with it as it typically results in nearly complete remission of the hypochondriacal anxiety. The SSRIs tend to have the highest efficacy, but they typically work best at very high doses, in the case of Prozac, 50-100mg isn't unheard of. Another drug taken in combination, especially with people who have a history of epilepsy, is Lamictal. The drug is typically provided for people with bipolar disorder, but it seems to work very well with patients that do no respond to SSRIs alone.

I have found conventional drugless methods of relaxation useful for those with very mild hypochondria, someone with typically mild symptoms can resist visiting doctors and maintains a good appetite and doesn't feel compelled to cry, sleep excessively or not at all and does not check their 'symptoms' so frequently they injure themselves or take time out of their work day to do so. These people will worry about a spot on their skin or a cough, but frequently will dismiss it after a few days if it doesn't change or it shows mild improvement. People that spend an excessive amount of their day finding information on their 'disease' or who regularly interrupt their day to check their 'symptoms' will most likely need medication as well as some form of counseling. The counseling component may eventually stop, once the medication is working, but the medication may need to be administered for many years. It is especially important to begin treatment (drug or nondrug) at the first observation of hypochondria as initially an episode will typically be 'triggered' by something. Eventually, due to something called the kindling effect, the hypochondriacal episodes will no longer need a trigger and will persist and worsen indefinably.
Visitor

Return to Treatment Experience