HOMEFORUMINFODIAGNOSISTREATMENTDISEASESBOOKSCHATBLOGLINKS

Begin overcoming hypochondria today with hypnosis

self help hypochondriac books?

Talk with others about the symptoms you are experiencing. NOTE: Do not rely on the advice you find here alone, if you are experiencing any severe symptoms please seek medical attention.

Moderators: hypotoo, thehypochondriac

self help hypochondriac books?

Postby shampoobottle » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:11 pm

I need some good hypo and anxiety books.
Anyone know of any?
shampoobottle
New Hypochondriac

Re: self help hypochondriac books?

Postby bookgirl32 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:05 am

my psychiatrist just suggested Brain Lock. I like it actually, since I find the less I "reason" with my fear, the better. It entails retraining your brain to not pay attention to whatever part of it (lymbic system, something like that) that just keeps telling it that there's a threat and it needs to react accordingly. It's mostly geared towards OCD (which I have "pure O", just obsessive thoughts, which is pretty much hypochondria anyway), so you say "It's not me, it's my OCD" and then follow the steps. It's really interesting.
bookgirl32
New Hypochondriac

Re: self help hypochondriac books?

Postby ang0423 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:28 am

It's Not All in Your Head: How Worrying about Your Health Could Be Making You Sick--and What You Can Do about It. The author is Gordon Asmundson. I ordered it off of amazon because no library had it and it was cheaper than the book stores. It is a pretty good book. It breaks down whether or not you worry too much about your health. How the physical feelings that you have aren't all in your head. It also talks about depression and other anxiety disorders. Other chapters include how to understand and manage your stress. How your thoughts and behaviors affect your anxiety. How you can better deal with doctors and how to relate your hypo to your family and friends.

This is my go to book when I panic because it spells out that anxiety can/will cause chest pain, will cause increase in heart rate, it will cause all these physical symptoms that I assume are more serious than they really are. Yes the feelings are real, but they are mostly harmless.
ang0423
New Hypochondriac

Return to Symptom Support