HOMEFORUMINFODIAGNOSISTREATMENTDISEASESBOOKSCHATBLOGLINKS

Begin overcoming hypochondria today with hypnosis

new to this site - intermittent facial numbness

Talk with others about the symptoms you are experiencing. NOTE: Do not rely on the advice you find here alone, if you are experiencing any severe symptoms please seek medical attention.

Moderators: hypotoo, thehypochondriac

new to this site - intermittent facial numbness

Postby hypo gwen » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:29 am

Hello my fellow hypochondriacs,

I came across this site through google searches for various combinations of "ms" "als" "facial numbness" etc. I'm sure you are all familiar with that drill. While I worry about 1-3 fatal diseases on a daily basis, at present I am mainly concerned with two symptoms - facial numbness, which started a few months ago, mostly in my cheekbones, usually on the right side of my face, that comes and goes (it comes most often while sitting at my desk at work), and excess salivation/gulping which started within the past two weeks and has become constant.

I tried googling these symptoms + "nervous" but unfortunately that led me to 500 nervous system diseases that can cause my symptoms.

I am curious if anyone else has experienced and been paranoid about these symptoms? I've been planning to make an appointment with a neurologist, but I'm afraid he'll laugh me out the office ...
hypo gwen
New Hypochondriac

Re: new to this site - intermittent facial numbness

Postby Heather713 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:22 am

Gwen, with what you state, I would be freaking out too! BUT... I have had facial numbness too. Its always my lower left chin area. It almost feels like I have had a shot of novacaine. You wanna here my symptoms??? I have strange movements in my thumb when I hold my hand a certain way. Like if I am holding a book, sometimes my hand will shake back and forth. Scary huh? I too have run the course of ALS, MS, and I am now stuck on Parkinsons. Life like this sucks!!!! I too would like to go to a neurologist but I am not sure what the heck I would say and maybe I am too scared to hear what they would say. Do you really think your symptoms are bad or is it just more saliva in your mouth? I think if it were ALS bulbar onset (I know my stuff huh? :D ) you would not be doing all the gulping. Just a little positive for ya!!! Take care and keep us posted. Heather
Heather713
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby hypo gwen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:29 am

Thanks Heather! That makes me feel much better. The excess saliva issue seemed to miraculously go away today. I also have odd twitches and muscle spasms, pretty much all over my body (legs, arms, lips, fingers, etc.), and I've worried about all the same diseases as you. It seems like a lot of people on this board mention having some sort of muscle twitching and I wonder if everyone does, but only hypochondriacs really notice it and stress about it... :)
hypo gwen
New Hypochondriac

Postby icanrelate » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:14 am

Just thought I would give some reassurance to this subject. I too have experienced facial numbness. Mine was over my left cheeck bone and was persistant for about 2 weeks. I was not worried about a neurological disorder, but worried about a brain tumor. I realized that my anxiety and stress was most likely the cause because after about 2 weeks it went away. My numbness I know was REAL. I was not imagining it! I also think that I was clenching my jaw unconciously bc of stress and that could have had something to do with it as well. So relax. Its most likely your stress and anxiety. Try to relax.

Also with the thumb movements that were described, those are normal! Our body has natural reflexes and when you hold things in your hands a certain way you activate those reflex responses in your body. This is not a sign of a neurological disorder. While I am not a medical doctor, I am a doctoral student for a healthcare profession.
icanrelate
New Hypochondriac

Postby OverAnalyzer » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:41 am

icanrelate is right. Often times with anxiety doctors will acknowledge that we have mental issues, but don't emphasize how this can affect us physically. After suffering from hypochondria my whole life and being on and off SSRIs, I now KNOW physical symptoms are anxiety related. I know this because they go away completely on the SSRIs. Facial numbness and muscle twitching are two things I have a lot when I'm off the meds. For my the facial numbness is more of a tingling in one spot (like Novocaine). The twitching is in all sorts of muscles all over my body. I once got a persistent twitch on a muscle over my heart. Now that freaked me out! I was sure I was having heart failure.

Any neurological condition would most likely have a slow onset. Try some things to relax your body or other therapeutic techniques. Make a commitment to do this for two weeks. Eat healthy and exercise (even a short walk will do). Try to put your fears aside by telling yourself that if you still have the symptoms you can address them in two weeks. If you really give relaxing a try, you'll probably find the twitching and numbness will go away because your muscles can finally relax! If you need some relaxation technique help, let me know. Otherwise ask your therapist if you have one. Also, this information is all over the internet.
OverAnalyzer
New Hypochondriac

Postby Julie12147 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:06 pm

not saying this is what YOU have, but the left side of my face kept going numb (like novacaine), then it would go away, come back etc. i freaked out and added it to my list of "ms symptoms", but i had a clear mri, and it actually ended up being an abcessed tooth. i didnt even have any dental pain, i had no idea! they removed the tooth and the numbness got more constant (everything was inflamed and the nerve compression got worse) and a few weeks later it stopped. i also have bad TMJ and my dr said that can irritate the nerves too. again, this might not be the case for you, it can be all sorts of stuff. but get it checked out, and try to remember that i had every symptom in the book (or so i thought) of MS symptoms and the facial numbness added to it, and it was NOTHING serious. another area to explore is trigger point refferal parents. even though the nerves that innervate your face dont run thru your neck, if you have tight neck muscles you can develop trigger points. and ive had a few neuros tell me trigger points dont refer JUST PAIN, sometimes its just tingly/numbness. so google trigger point refferal patterns, its worth a shot! ive had other areas of tingling/numbness and was able to relieve them by working on the trigger points.
Julie12147
New Hypochondriac

Return to Symptom Support