HOMEFORUMINFODIAGNOSISTREATMENTDISEASESBOOKSCHATBLOGLINKS

Begin overcoming hypochondria today with hypnosis

Colon Cancer

Talk with others about the symptoms you are experiencing. NOTE: Do not rely on the advice you find here alone, if you are experiencing any severe symptoms please seek medical attention.

Moderators: hypotoo, thehypochondriac

Colon Cancer

Postby adam4little » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:09 pm

So I posted in the intro section but I just wanted to go through my symptoms

First two months:

On and off constipation-narrow stools-
Nausea for a few days

After reading about Colon Cancer

Fear of eating -what f I dont have an appetite?
Examining poop everyday for blood
Light headedness
Intense anxiety
Loss of sleep
More frequent narrow stools
(nausea subsided)

Someone give me some advice. I am heading to work soon and terrified of being away from home feeling this anxious
adam4little
New Hypochondriac

Re: Colon Cancer

Postby PaddyNorth » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:37 pm

First of all, how old are you?

ColonCancer hits people in their middle 70s. Its VERY rare but people in their 40s also can get it, but its REALLY REALLY rare. Ive had exactly the same symptoms as you have. I did a colonoscopy and a lot of other examinations before I got my diagnose. It was just IBS, and its totally harmless. I was 20 years old and she said that i would be the first person on this planet to have it. And this means ALL upp to 40 years old.

If you had ColonCancer you would have fever and your shit would be BLACK. Yes, like coffee grounds, and you would have noticed it. You would also had a LOT of other symptoms.

You dont have ColonCancer. Trust me.
PaddyNorth
New Hypochondriac

Postby sickofit » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:13 pm

]dellete
Last edited by sickofit on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sickofit
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby adam4little » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:00 pm

I have also lost 8 lbs in 2 weeks. I am so scared right now. Will an ER give me a colonoscopy?
adam4little
New Hypochondriac

Postby sara37 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:13 pm

Adam, dont worry about the weight thing. Honestly, if you lost your appetite and have been so stressed its completely natural to lose that weight. Think about it. Please dont worry. Weight loss would occur unintentionally, not in two weeks when you've been so stressed and havent been eating! It would be over a longer period. I spoke to a pharmacist about my weight loss and they didnt seem concerned because of the lack of eating and nausea I was feeling last year....they were more concerned about my mental state. After that I even pigged out and didnt put on the weight. After a couple of months I regained some of the weight....you will regain the weight when you feel better.

I dont know if an ER will give u a colonoscopy. Maybe speak to 'talk to a doctor' online, you can just phone them and speak immediately to a qualified doctor, although it is expensive, i think £1.50 a minute.

Please tell me you'll be ok, because I'm worried about how worried you're getting since I mentioned the weight thing!! Please dont worry about it!

HYPOTOO WHERE ARE YOU???
sara37
New Hypochondriac

Postby sickofit » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:48 pm

Honestly, you don't have colon cancer.

The symptoms add 99.8% up to anxiety:

You are anxious and haven't been eating properly. Therefore, your stools are bound to look different. Anixety can cause more than usual bowel movements due to the stress.
Plus, the nausea is probably due to your belly being empty, hungry and/or an increase in acid because of this.
The weight loss is due to stress and loss of fluid. 8lbs is easy to fluctuate w/i a two week period.
Also, the lightheadedness is either due to anxious thoughts or it could be dehydration.

Try taking deep breaths. Breathe in for two second, hold the breath of four seconds and breathe out for 6 seconds.

Eat a large, favorite meal of yours. Follow it up by fluids and try to relax.

Trust me, I know that is easier said than done. You are okay.
sickofit
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby IowaHawkFan89 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:08 pm

I hear you on this subject...I've had some of the same symptoms except I have what is probably blood *black coffee ground looking things* in my BM's at times. Colon cancer can occur in your earlier years although uncommon *I'm only 21 and it freaks me out for some reason..probably due to the coffee ground appearence, weight loss, and fatigue). Unless you see BLOOD don't be alarmed...HOWEVER I would reccommend going in and talking to a physican bout it. See what they say. You could have IBS which seems to be aggrivated by anxiety. If your 40-50 please goto th Gastroentologist.
If your younger though chances are it's IBS and anxiety over something like colon cancer. In any case...see a therapist if our losing weight..I'm afraid to eat as well..everytime I eat feel like garbage..Is this what your going through? Realize even if axiety you cant keep losing weight like that which is why perhaps at least seeing a physican about it would be agood idea. If it's being caused by anxiety*the weight loss* then therapy would be a good idea to try to get you over the fear of eating. If you need to talk to someone who has the same fears..Shoot me a Private message and take care of yourself.
IowaHawkFan89
New Hypochondriac

Postby hypotoo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:17 am

Paddynorth... you are completely wrong on colon cancer. So wrong that I don't even want to bother with all of the errors in your post.
hypotoo
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby hypotoo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:26 am

Adam,

Colon cancer isn't causing your symptoms. NO an ER will not perform a colonoscopy. It's an EMERGENCY ROOM, and you aren't having an emergency.

People....coffee ground stools means that the entire stool looks like black ground coffee. It doesn't mean a few black specs in your poop.

Visible red blood isn't a sign of cancer... hemorrhoids or anal fissures cause visible red blood.

Colon cancer caused blood is not visible in the stool, unless you were to tear it apart and use a microscope to examine the stool. That's why they use fecal occult blood tests.

Narrow stools are caused more often by hemorrhoids than anything else.

Change of bowel habits is irrelevant at age 25. (at least for colon cancer)

The fact that you lost 8 pounds means nothing without stating your total weight. I can lose 5 pounds in a good workout at the gym.
hypotoo
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby adam4little » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:03 pm

Hey guys. I stayed home from work today because of my anxiety....lame haha. I need a job where I dont have to work under someone I guess. So, anyways....I updated my symptoms on the board. Thank you for all of your responses. The one thing that keeps bothering me is the lack of appetite but I think alot of that is psychosomatic (my bro and I went and ate some pizza last night. I had one slice and then a crapload of v-day candy haha I was hungry last night so that counts) As for the weight loss, the other thing that is really bothering me, I have lost 10 lbs-I am 188 after pee and pooping since the 5th. Hypotoo-I wen from 210 to 198 after working out but still eating shitty and drinking coffee with cream a few times a day. Now I dont eat much-worry alot- drink lots of water and continue to walk a mile to work both ways. 188 is normal BMI for my height (6 feet) so maybe I am just burning fat. I just keep reading these horror stories of cancer in the final stages where people basically just starve to death and I am so anxious about it. There is also maybe....a slight slight slight...lymph node raise on the back of my neck which I am now worried about too. Ive read that advanced stages of colon cancer travel to the lymph nodes and liver (causing loss of appetite and weight loss) so I am really freaked out. And the bump doesnt hurt so I am doubly freakd out. I wish I could take a nap-wake up and feel completely normal again. I would pay so much money for this to just go away. Any advice for getting thorugh the day? I promise I will return the favor someday
adam4little
New Hypochondriac

Postby PaddyNorth » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:34 pm

Im really sorry if the information i wrote was wrong. I only said what my GP doctor said. But maybe she was wrong. But i hope Adam4little is going to be fine.
PaddyNorth
New Hypochondriac

Postby hypotoo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:43 pm

Sorry Paddy.

Colon Cancer often appears around the age of 50 to 60.

One can have colon cancer with normal looking stools. By the time they are black you've probably had colon cancer for a long time. Colon Cancer arises from colon polyps, The polyps often bleed small amounts into the stool, but this blood is rarely visible. Black stools are the result of fairly significant bleeding.

Colon Cancer doesn't always generate a fever. Fever would indicate a much more advanced stage of CC>

Coffee ground stools are extremely ominous. Coffee ground stools look like you poured your used coffee directly into the toilet. Little black grounds is exactly how it looks. By the time you have coffee ground stools you would have been very ill for some time.
hypotoo
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby PaddyNorth » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:58 pm

Ok then i have learned something new!
But i won't pay much attention of the real facts, i refuse to go through a new colonoscopy. Hahahaha.
PaddyNorth
New Hypochondriac

Postby adam4little » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:47 am

Ok guys. I went out to eat tonight with my gf and I could barely eat what I had. How can you tell if your appetite loss is organic or psychological? I wasnt hungry. My body did not want the food. I made myself eat the whole plate of salad...but I just wasnt feeling it. I cant get into a GI because I dont have a PCP....Im too afraid to check and see if I am anemic because I will assume the worst. I am in a terrible spot right now. I slept until 2 am last night and was awake fro three hours super upset. I dont know what to do. Hospital? Psych ward?
adam4little
New Hypochondriac

Postby adam4little » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:19 am

Painless lymph node in the right and left side of my groin. Im going to the ER
adam4little
New Hypochondriac

Next

Return to Symptom Support