HOMEFORUMINFODIAGNOSISTREATMENTDISEASESBOOKSCHATBLOGLINKS

Begin overcoming hypochondria today with hypnosis

Chest pains waking me up at night

Talk with others about the symptoms you are experiencing. NOTE: Do not rely on the advice you find here alone, if you are experiencing any severe symptoms please seek medical attention.

Moderators: hypotoo, thehypochondriac

Chest pains waking me up at night

Postby hecares4me » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:18 am

Okay so I can understand feeling chest pains during the day and having it all in my head...because I am up thinking about it.
But being awaken out of my sleep with chest pains....is that in my head?
This has been going on for a few weeks now. I am scared to go to sleep. I have palpitations accompanied by chest pain in the day, and the same thing wakes me up at night. I am scared. I have ignored it because I am writing it off as anxiety. But the fact that it is waking me up in the middle of the night is scaring me. I am having them right now as I type this. Sometimes sharp pains, sometimes achy dull pains, all the time palpitations though.
I am making a cardio appt. I don't want to ignore it and then it's really something serious. Hurts so bad...right around where I perceive the heart to be.

Had anyone ever had anything similar that woke you out of your sleep?
hecares4me
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Re: Chest pains waking me up at night

Postby hecares4me » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:02 pm

It's still happening. Woke me up again last night. Arghhhhh!!!! So I tried to calm myself and tell myself that maybe I was just having localized breast pain. I have big boobs and a small body, so I was thinking that maybe the shooting pains were just from my huge breasts. But why only one breast though? And why only the left one where the heart is? So I googled breast pain...not thinking that I would find anything horrible to spark up my hypochondria even more. But all the things I found on breast pain were symptoms of sore or tender breast, or tightness in breast. Those are not my chest symptoms. I have sharp shootinng pains mixed with palpitations. So I read on and found that sometimes, and very very rarely, sharp shooting pain could mean breast cancer, but only in a small pecentage of women, as sharp shooting pains are not a common breast cancer symptom. So now you know I am thinking "what if I am part of that small percent where it means that I have breast cancer?" Now freaked out even more. I don't want it to be my heart, but I don't want it to be breast cancer neither.

So again...has anyone had any sharp shooting, or even localized chest pains that have woke you up at night? Can't wait to see my doctor next week.
hecares4me
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby sandraqwest » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:50 pm

A dr. explained to me that the colon (I think this is true) curves around right in that area, and that sometimes gas gets trapped there. I would bet if they are sharp stabbing pains they are gas, not heart attack. I don't think cardiac pain feels like a sharp stabbing pain.
What do the palpitations feel like? Does it feel like your heart is skipping a beat or just beating really fast?
sandraqwest
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby ReginaldBarclay » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:57 pm

That sounds like a classic symptom of anxiety to me, being awoken a night with that feeling and being short of breath is also too. I'm no doc, but I know anxiety, if you are anxtious it makes sense.
ReginaldBarclay
New Hypochondriac

Postby hecares4me » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:52 am

The palps feel like skipped beats or like my heart is jumping.
Really, heart problems don't come in the form of sharp chest pains? Didn't know that. Haven't had any gas, unless it stayed on the inside and never came out. Idk....
hecares4me
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby hecares4me » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:32 am

@Reginaldbarclay - yeah but I thought that anxiety manifested when your mind/brain was active and thinking about it. I was sleep and not at all thinking about my perceived health problems. I mean, I went to bed thinking about it of course, but it didn't carry over into my dreams.
hecares4me
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby sandraqwest » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:37 pm

I'm pretty sure that sharp stabbing pains are not the classic type of cardiac pain. I think lots of people with anxiety get them. I even read somewhere about a name for it, but can't remember- something about soldiers during the Civil War getting them.
As far as the skipped beats go, I think that's a sign that you need more magnesium. When you're under stress your body dumps magnesium. Try eating a lot of almonds or beans and see if that helps.
sandraqwest
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Return to Symptom Support