HOMEFORUMINFODIAGNOSISTREATMENTDISEASESBOOKSCHATBLOGLINKS

Begin overcoming hypochondria today with hypnosis

Can Ativan cause seizures?

Talk with others about the symptoms you are experiencing. NOTE: Do not rely on the advice you find here alone, if you are experiencing any severe symptoms please seek medical attention.

Moderators: hypotoo, thehypochondriac

Can Ativan cause seizures?

Postby MorningSadness00 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:58 pm

I am on ativan for my anxiety, and i was wondering if they caused seizures?
Can Seizures be a side- effect from ativan???
Im scared....DO i have a Brain Tumor =[
by the way im 19
Im not sure, but i think i had one when i was sleeping like my head was jerking or something and i couldnt control it.
MorningSadness00
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Re: Can Ativan cause seizures?

Postby Misvenus000 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:52 pm

Not to scare you but it does say this but, Only in high doses!! Be sure to talk to your therapist about it. Also, if it was a seizure, you wouldn't be fully aware of it. Was this a dream you had? You don't have a brain tumor. I promise you.
Misvenus000
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby MorningSadness00 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:39 pm

I dont got a therapists i got the meds from the Dr. when i went to the emergency room.
these meds have been making me dizzy all day, and i have a head ache, im scared of having an aneurysm.
because my head feel really strange in all places and my neck and back hurts, but i do have my time of the month so that may be it. and also can they cause sensitivity to light, im just so scared of dying.

I noticed what was going on with my head when it was jerking and i couldnt stop it... im so scared.
MorningSadness00
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby Misvenus000 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:49 pm

I am scared of dying too. Your not alone. I have three kids that I don't want to leave behind. For one, are you sure there not neck spasms? When your really anxious your muscles have spasms. Heres a website for you that made me feel better. I hope it works for you too. http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml This gives almost everything you would feel when you have anxiety. You don't have to join it but this made me feel more grounded. Do you have sinus pressure? Here is a paragraph from the site I found for you..

In a sample of about 3500 patients treated for anxiety, the most frequent adverse reaction to Ativan (lorazepam) was sedation (15.9%), followed by dizziness (6.9%), weakness (4.2%), and unsteadiness (3.4%). The incidence of sedation and unsteadiness increased with age.

The dizziness is very common. When I get my period, I ache all over. Having your period will give you many other symptoms especially higher anxiety symptoms. Getting your period is brutal while you have anxiety. Especially in my legs and my back. Your neck is from your anxiety. Your ok I promise. **HUG**

Try to take a hot bath to relax yourself.
Misvenus000
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby MorningSadness00 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:54 pm

Thank you so much for trying to help.
Im just so paranoid about having a brain tumor, i had a brain scan when i was 14 though, and nothing showed up. im 19 now.....
MorningSadness00
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby Misvenus000 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:00 pm

No problem! Did you by chance know someone who had a brain tumor? My grandmother did (by law, not related) So I was able to talk to her about everything. Hers was not cancerous. I even saw her have a seizure. You would be incapable to consider typing if you had her seizure. Not to scare you but hopefully you understand what was real to a brain tumor. But, this was why I was feeling like I had a brain tumor. I went through all of the turmoil that she did. Only from a stand point. I watched everything she went through. Shes a trooper! They would have noticed her tumor if she did a scan. Because it was missed for so many years it grew. Since its been 5 years, they would have caught something. At least something growing. I will tell you straight, there is two ways to get over this. You either see a doctor for it or you can give the meds a try. I can really relate to you. I'm stubborn myself. The past few weeks I had no reasons for me to have a brain tumor. Just two days ago I thought I did. I still do. But, there isn't any real proof. Especially since I went through the mess with my grandmother. It would have been more apparent.
Misvenus000
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby MorningSadness00 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:10 pm

SO they would have already found something if i had one? Im sorry to hear about your grandmother.
and i dont know anyones who had one...
MorningSadness00
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby Misvenus000 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:47 pm

Have you had the same symptoms from before? Personally, I do believe its anxiety. Only because I have looked up symptoms from before and I haven't seen anything that would be otherwise. There are so many different things that it would be considering the fact that you can still comprehend after these small muscle spasms. It doesn't sound to me that they are seizures. Most last over 30 seconds or more. The majority of major ones can last for a good 2 minutes. Muscle weakness along with comprehension are key factors as well. I think your anxiety is taking a toll on you. It has with me as well. Hang in there ok.
Misvenus000
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby MorningSadness00 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:50 pm

Misvenus000 wrote:Have you had the same symptoms from before? Personally, I do believe its anxiety. Only because I have looked up symptoms from before and I haven't seen anything that would be otherwise. There are so many different things that it would be considering the fact that you can still comprehend after these small muscle spasms. It doesn't sound to me that they are seizures. Most last over 30 seconds or more. The majority of major ones can last for a good 2 minutes. Muscle weakness along with comprehension are key factors as well. I think your anxiety is taking a toll on you. It has with me as well. Hang in there ok.

I do actually fell like i cant comprehend very well. and i feel week.... and really scared.
I dont really have a big headache or anything like that, just that seizure thing i had.
MorningSadness00
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby Misvenus000 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:10 pm

I know your scared. But trust me. It sounds like muscle spasms. It doesn't sound like seizures to me. You were aware of what was going on. You realized what was happening. Those do not sound like seizures to me. Honestly :) I will tell you this, I have these waves of dizziness. They scare me. I kind of feel them coming. I always thought this was a sign of a brain tumor. Although after blood work Xrays and so on. I came to the conclusion that it was my iron. My periods have blood clots in them. Nothing huge but smaller ones. Every time when I would go to donate blood, I could never do it because my iron was too low. So for over 5 or so years after these waves of dizziness. I started taking flinstone vitamins. I haven't had them in a while. Only sometimes when I get my period. Low iron.. that was it. I thought it was a debilitating tumor. It was nothing. I only had these "waves" every once in a while. I also went through my twins pregnancy "wave" free because I was taking the prenatal vitamins. So, some things you think are major are really not. Can you talk to your parents? I would see if they could talk to you concerning a therapist. You really need one darlin.
Misvenus000
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby MorningSadness00 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:18 pm

Misvenus000 wrote:I know your scared. But trust me. It sounds like muscle spasms. It doesn't sound like seizures to me. You were aware of what was going on. You realized what was happening. Those do not sound like seizures to me. Honestly :) I will tell you this, I have these waves of dizziness. They scare me. I kind of feel them coming. I always thought this was a sign of a brain tumor. Although after blood work Xrays and so on. I came to the conclusion that it was my iron. My periods have blood clots in them. Nothing huge but smaller ones. Every time when I would go to donate blood, I could never do it because my iron was too low. So for over 5 or so years after these waves of dizziness. I started taking flinstone vitamins. I haven't had them in a while. Only sometimes when I get my period. Low iron.. that was it. I thought it was a debilitating tumor. It was nothing. I only had these "waves" every once in a while. I also went through my twins pregnancy "wave" free because I was taking the prenatal vitamins. So, some things you think are major are really not. Can you talk to your parents? I would see if they could talk to you concerning a therapist. You really need one darlin.

I know i do need one a therapists and i had one before i moved, and i moved like 2 months ago. I need someone to talk to Brain tumors scare me , i have weird feelings in my head, its scary.
Im sick of living this way and worrying all the time i just want to go home =[ and be around my best friend and my aunt and stuff. my aunt kicked me out because i wouldnt go to school because of my anxiety and being bullied and various things =[.
I dont like living here in Florida its hard for my anxiety.... but my aunt wont take me back. im a screw up.
MorningSadness00
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby Misvenus000 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:35 pm

Your not a screw up. You sound like a wonderful person to me! Your just alone. I know that feeling. I am at home with my kids almost all day long. My husband takes care of them in the morning and thats it. I moved from MD to be closer to my mom here in VA. I have no friends here. I was happy and full of life while I was working in MD. I did not have these problems. I never had this much anxiety. I had my share of issues but I haven't felt this way in years. The relationship with me and my husband were great while I was working and keeping myself busy. This is what you should do. Try to get out a bit more. Maybe go back to college. Or go to college. There are so many things you can do if your not a parent. Not saying being a parent holds you back but, you have limitations. Or get a better job. Your young and have so much to live for. Being anxious will hold you back but, there are so many places that will let you see a therapist with a sliding scale. They wont charge you much at all. Or if you have insurance, I would look for a great place to talk to someone. You can PM me if you want! I know so much about Hypochondria and Anxiety its not funny. I have been there done that!
Misvenus000
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby dr.austin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:26 am

Yes Ativan can cause seizures, but on withdraval. If you take 3 pills a day usually ,and next day you don't take any, you may seize. This is why when you come off this class of meds (called benzodiazepines) you have to taper the dose down, before stopping.

Anyway, Ativan is not a good choice for anxiety. If you have chronic anxiety, you need to be on a daily SSRI (as Zoloft, Lexapro, Prozac, Celexa or Paxil) for maintenance *(regardless if that day you have attacks or not), and that wil decrease the frequency and intensity of your anxiety episodes. In addition to that, you should take a short-acting anxiety pill for attack as needed: e.g. Xanax Xanax kicks in in 10-15 minutes, and you suddenly feel that life is good. SSRIs need up to 6 weeks to fully work, and it's better to stay on this regimen for at least 6 months, or until anxiety resolves, or forever if needed, because anxiety will come back when you stop it. A main side effect is delay of the ejaculation in men and of the orgasm in women. If this become bothersome, this pill is not for you, but you have to try it to see how it affects you.

For other options than Ativan and SSRI, please see a doctor.
dr.austin

Return to Symptom Support