HOMEFORUMINFODIAGNOSISTREATMENTDISEASESBOOKSCHATBLOGLINKS

Begin overcoming hypochondria today with hypnosis

numbness in head = brain tumor (again)?

Talk with others about the symptoms you are experiencing. NOTE: Do not rely on the advice you find here alone, if you are experiencing any severe symptoms please seek medical attention.

Moderators: hypotoo, thehypochondriac

numbness in head = brain tumor (again)?

Postby Klaha » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:41 pm

I'm in school and I hate crying in public but today I can't help it.

Since last night the right side of my head (especially my ear) has felt a bit numb, and sometimes even in my chin and lower lip. It's really uncomfortable. The day before yesterday, I had pressure all over my head, which went away after I slept. Lately I've been having problems with my sinuses, but I don't think that can cause numbness in my entire (half) of my head. I read somewhere that numbness in hands, feet, face, and head (as well as other places) can be anxiety symptoms, but I'm not sure about this. I'm scared I might have a tumor because my head has been giving me so many problems lately. Please, someone, tell me something helpful or reassuring--especially if you've experienced this same sort of sensation.
Klaha
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby Ms. Self-Destruct » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:28 am

I went through the brain tumor thing; here's the absolute best symptom of brain tumor, and the one that always makes me feel better: it hurts more when you lay down. So if you went to bed and managed to sleep it off, it's not a brain tumor. I'm no doctor, but maybe it's a nerve problem. How's your jaw feel? How are your teeth?
Ms. Self-Destruct
New Hypochondriac

Postby Klaha » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:20 am

Ms. Self-Destruct wrote:I went through the brain tumor thing; here's the absolute best symptom of brain tumor, and the one that always makes me feel better: it hurts more when you lay down. So if you went to bed and managed to sleep it off, it's not a brain tumor. I'm no doctor, but maybe it's a nerve problem. How's your jaw feel? How are your teeth?

My jaw is killing me, to tell the truth. I got a wisdom tooth taken out, and was only able to chew on my right side for a while, and now it feels horribly sore on the right side (the same side where it's numb). I've considered it being a nerve problem, so maybe when I go to the doctor, I'll bring it up. [nods]

The fact that it hurts more when you lie down is really comforting to me. Thanks. ^^
Klaha
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby Ms. Self-Destruct » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:27 am

Ahh, that sounds like it. I read about brain tumors in an American Family Medical Guide; those books can put awful ideas in your head, but they also always mention the rarity of serious stuff, unlike Google.
Ms. Self-Destruct
New Hypochondriac

Postby Klaha » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:30 am

Augh, internet research is the worst. They make everything sound so damned common. I feel like my jaw needs to be popped back into place. Every time I open my mouth it's agony right next to my ear. Which I suppose could explain the numbness being centered in my ear....

Being logical about things really helps. ><
Klaha
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby Ms. Self-Destruct » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:36 am

Being logical about things really helps. ><

If only it wasn't so hard to do!

I've had that 'jaw-needs-to-be-popped' feeling, but I honestly can't remember what to do about it. Of course, I've never had my wisdom teeth taken out; I don't know if I even have any...Maybe you should try icing it, although I don't know if that would help.
Ms. Self-Destruct
New Hypochondriac

Postby Gothique » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:59 am

Hi Klaha!

When you mentioned the pain in your jaw and in your head it sounded very similar to my symptoms that I had over a year ago. I had severe pain in my sinuses and right by my ears along with an aching neck and a sharp pain that shot from my jaw straight into the top of my head. I spent countless nights drugged out on aspirin and crying because I thought I had a brain tumor.

I went to an ENT and he couldn't find anything so he sent me to get a CAT scan. Well the cat scan came back and the Dr said he found that my lateral temporal horn seemed abnormal. OMG I cried and cried and actually wrote out my will convinced I was going to die. So it was off to an MRI which came back normal.

Well through trial and error it turned out to be...drum roll please....TMJ! In case you aren't familiar with what that is it stands for Temporal Mandibular Joint which is the joint that connects your mandible to your temporo bone of your skull. Through grinding your teeth, clenching from stress or just having an out of whack bite can cause stress on this joint and create all the symptoms I was having and even symptoms similar to yours. You said you had a wisdom tooth taken out and that could play a major roll because like I said it can throw your bite off.

Here are some links for you in case you want to read more about it and no it's not life threatening and can be made better with a dental night guard.

http://www.stronghealth.com/services/su ... NT/tmj.cfm
http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/topics/tmj.cfm

I hope this helps you because it I went through hell and I don't want to see you go through the same!
I'm not here to be polite
Gothique
New Hypochondriac

Postby Klaha » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:11 am

Augh, thank you SO much for that post. It was extremely comforting. When I went to the oral surgeon to get the tooth extracted, there was mention of TMJ, so I'm quite familiar with it, and I was starting to come to the same conclusion. Your post pretty much just cemented it for me. I figured the stress of only chewing on one side just killed my jaw. When I open my mouth I feel like my joint is kinda...moving incorrectly and needs to be popped back 'into place'. Bleh. This sucks. I wonder if it'll fade after a while or if I'll need to go to a doctor about it.

By the way, welcome. It's nice to have new people who actually post. :3
Klaha
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby Sarahb » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm

I've got a numb feeling in my head too. it comes and goes, but for the past 3 days the right side of my head has felt numb. its starting to worry me. it feels like there's something under there.
Sarahb
New Hypochondriac

Re: numbness in head = brain tumor (again)?

Postby famgil5 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:56 pm

I feel sometimes a slight tingling in my head, and I never really thought about it much until my friend told me that when her friend's cancer had reached her brain, she felt this!! I almost passed out from the sheer fear and I have thought of nothing else for the past week. I try to tell myself that it could me from the anxiety that I am feeling or maybe even a side-effect from the Paxil, but then those negative thoughts always come back. Can anyone help??
famgil5
New Hypochondriac

Postby hypotoo » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:35 am

Anxiety or Paxil, either one can cause a tingling sensation. SSRI's usually have all sorts of weird neurological effects. Some are rather hard to describe, but darn near anything is possible.

Concentrating on anything can magnify, amplify, or create a symptom.

For example:

If you're not wearing long pants, go put on a pair. Sit in a rather straight backed chair. Do you feel where the pants leg meets the top of your
right leg at the knee? Concentrate on the exact spot where the fabric touches you. Move your leg slightly and feel how the fabric moves across your knee. Now, stop moving your leg and really concentrate on how the skin is slightly irritated by the fabric. If you concentrate on this point for about 15 minutes you will begin to notice that you have some pain at this spot. Concentrate for an hour and the pain will be so great that you'll have to get up.

Now there is no reason for this pain. You have not injured yourself, and there is no damage to your skin. The skin will not be red, nor irritated in any way. What has just happened is that you have experienced the power the brain has to fool you.

There is an old tail from India about alchemy. In the middle of the last century it was quite common to find people who believed that you could make gold by combining other metals and chemicals. Some people claimed to have secret formulas which could be purchased with the guarantee that if you followed the recipe exactly you could make gold. A very old Indian alchemist had such a recipe for sale.

The old man told his clients that in order for his recipe to work the chemist must never think of a red faced monkey while stirring the pot. He claimed that even the slightest image of a red faced monkey in the mind of the chemist would instantly render the mixture inoperable. Of course every person who bought this formula went home, gather the ingredients and tried their best not to think of the red faced monkey. We all know what happens when you try NOT to think of something. They all saw the monkey, and the mixture never became gold. Refunds were useless because they had to honestly admit to having seen the monkey.

The moral is that many "symptoms" aren't symptoms at all...........just our brain playing with our sanity.
hypotoo
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Re:

Postby outtolunch » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:25 am

[quote="Gothique"]Hi Klaha!

When you mentioned the pain in your jaw and in your head it sounded very similar to my symptoms that I had over a year ago. I had severe pain in my sinuses and right by my ears along with an aching neck and a sharp pain that shot from my jaw straight into the top of my head. I spent countless nights drugged out on aspirin and crying because I thought I had a brain tumor.

I went to an ENT and he couldn't find anything so he sent me to get a CAT scan. Well the cat scan came back and the Dr said he found that my lateral temporal horn seemed abnormal. OMG I cried and cried and actually wrote out my will convinced I was going to die. So it was off to an MRI which came back normal.

Well through trial and error it turned out to be...drum roll please....TMJ! In case you aren't familiar with what that is it stands for Temporal Mandibular Joint which is the joint that connects your mandible to your temporo bone of your skull. Through grinding your teeth, clenching from stress or just having an out of whack bite can cause stress on this joint and create all the symptoms I was having and even symptoms similar to yours. You said you had a wisdom tooth taken out and that could play a major roll because like I said it can throw your bite off.

Here are some links for you in case you want to read more about it and no it's not life threatening and can be made better with a dental night guard.

I hope this helps you because it I went through hell and I don't want to see you go through the same![/quote]

You wrote out your will? You poor thing! I did that, too and know how awful being in that state of mind can be.
I, too have a TMJ problem and have caught myself grinding my teeth in my sleep, my bite is weird with that annoying jaw-popping sensation. And since the doctor removed my wisdom teeth, come to think of it, that's when the numb feeling on the left side of my face began. I was conscious when he took them out (big mistake!!! I was afraid of anesthesia) and remember how he dislocated my jaw, and how much worse it felt on the left side. Putting two and two together, I bet there's some nerve damage. The other explanation could be, that the occasional numbness is anxiety related.
I had a lot of the symptoms you're describing, too. Brain tumor fears can be the worst and I hope Klaha is doing better!
outtolunch
Full Blown Hypochondriac

Postby trapped07 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:17 am

Hi,

I know exactly what you mean with the numbness. I get it often to. Mine is usually in the back of my head. I was diagnosed with a brain tumor about 2 years ago but when I mentioned the numbness to my doctor he said that numbness in the head wouldn't have been caused by the tumor. He said if I had any symtoms it would be numbness/weakness in my arms or legs, seizures, frequent headaches, things like that. I hope that this helps you feel better, but if something is bothering me too much I always go to the doctor, so maybe you should just go so you can feel some relief.
trapped07
New Hypochondriac

Postby Jon » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:24 am

Yeah, I went through exactly the same thing last week. I've been getting a headache every couple of nights - not a really bad one, but you know it's there. Also the same kind of numb feeling you described, though maybe more of a 'tight' feeling in my case. After looking up symptoms on the net, I've since managed to imagine I've been experiencing numbness in one side of my body, which can sometimes feel quite real - the only reason I know it isn't is because I didn't have it till I read it lol. I'm still getting the head aches, but luckily / unluckily a new, more urgent worry (which I've written about in general discussion) has replaced this one, so I've managed to put it to the back of my mind for the moment.

I'm really sorry to hear you actually got one trapped07, was it removed successfully? And just out of interest, what actually were your symptoms? Sorry If I'm prying, just might help convince me next time I go through this.
Jon
New Hypochondriac

Postby freakinHippy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:46 am

Just want to throw in my .02 worth. My doc told me I have TMJ. My symptoms are numbness on the sides of my face, headaches, neck pain, jaw pain. At first I thought I was having a stroke when my face started getting numb, so off to the ER I went. ER doc says TMJ, my PCP backed him up after seeing me. I just knew I was having a stroke. ER doc and PCP told me that a stroke at my age was very rare, I'm 30 but I was 28 when this happened. I still get bad headaches and even get dizzy from it sometimes. I have to keep reminding myself that it is just TMJ. I also grind my teeth in my sleep, so bad that I wake up my wife all the time. Anyway, just wanted to share.

Thanks for reading. :|
freakinHippy
New Hypochondriac

Next

Return to Symptom Support